The File Manager allows you to upload, create, rename, or delete files, organize files in folders, extract archives, and change file permissions. The file manager has almost all features you might need from an FTP program.
To open and navigate in the File Manager:
1. Click on the File Manager button on the home page.
2. Navigate by using the following:
- Open a folder by clicking on the folder icon or on the folder name
- Go up a level by clicking on the Up one level link ".."
Folders are very useful to keep your site structure and files organized. They make the maintenance of the site much easier. For example, you can use a folder named "images" to store all of your image files and keep them separate from the HTML ones.
To create a folder you need to navigate to the parent folder you want to create it at. Then specify the name of the new folder at the "Create directory" box and click the Create dir button.
You can use the File Manager to upload files to your web site. You can upload both a single file or several files at a time, up to 20 files at once.
To upload files you first need to:
1. Navigate to the folder you want to upload them to.
- To upload a single file, scroll down to the bottom of the file list and click on the Browse button next to the Upload File: field. Search for and double-click the file you'd like to upload from your local computer and then click on the Upload button. The upload will start and when it is finished, the screen will refresh and your new file should show up in the file list.
- To upload multiple files, use the same procedure, but instead of double-clicking one file, select all the files you wish to upload from a folder on your computer and confirm. The maximum number of files that can be uploaded at once is 20.
To create a new file:
1. Navigate to the folder where you want to create your text file.
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the file list and enter the name of the new file in the Create file: field. You need to add the file extension to the name, for example script.php or index.html, not just script or index. Click on the Create File button.
3. The screen will refresh and the newly created file should show up in the file/folder list.
Editing a file
The File Manager allows you to make changes to your web site anywhere, without having to use some HTML program on your local computer and then upload the new version of the file to the server.
To edit a file:
1. Navigate to the folder where the file is located.
2. Click on the name of the text file. You will be taken to a screen where you will be able to edit the contents of the file.
3. Change the file as needed.
4. Click on the Save button to save the file, but stay in Edit mode. Click on the Save and Exit when you have finished with the changes. The file will be saved and any changes will be updated. Click on the Exit button to exit the Editor without saving any changes made to the file.
The file manager allows you to change the name of a file or folder.
To rename a file or folder:
1. Navigate to the file or folder.
2. Click the button for the file or folder and enter the new name. Then click the button.
Changing file/folder permissions
Here you can find how to set file permissions for some of the most common web files and folders: pages, Perl and PHP scripts and data/config files, images and folders. Sometimes, incorrectly configured permissions may be a reason for "Forbidden" and "Internal Server Error" messages
Below is a brief explanation of what these numbers mean.
For example 664 (rw-rw-r) represent the following permissions - read/write for the owner, read/write for the group, read for the web user/public.
To change file or folder permissions:
1. Navigate to the file or folder you need to change the permissions of.
2. Click the permissions value under the "Permission" column. Upon selecting the new value, the permissions will change. If you are changing permissions for a folder, the permissions will change recursively for all the content in the directory.
To delete a file or folder:
1. Navigate to the file(s) or folder(s) that you want to delete and mark the checkbox(es) in front of them.
2. Click on the Delete selected button to delete the files.
NOTE: You can hold the SHIFT button on your keyboard to select a range of files/folders.
To extract an archive, click on the file name and follow the interface.
To create an archive, navigate to a directory, select the files and directories you wish to include in the archive, click on the Add to archive button, and follow the interface.
To find a specific file or folder by its name, you can use the search box above the file/folder list. Just enter the name of the file or folder you are looking for and press the button next to it. You will get a list of files and folders which have the search string in their names. Clicking on a result from the list will take you to the specific folder in the File Manager. The search is case insensitive.